[MSNoise] MSNoise Digest, Vol 7, Issue 14

Wardhani, Prima Wira Kusuma prima.dhani06 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 08:48:10 UTC 2014

Sorry being late in reply,,,

I don't know that you are reply my email, I found it in
https://www.mail-archive.com/msnoise@mailman-as.oma.be/msg00158.html
after search for error "S07plot_dtt.py", it didn't receive in my email
in any folder. I think you didn't reply my email,, so i tried to solve
it myself,, :(

1. How do you calculate/get the RAM/CPU values ?

   Ans : I used trial and error by running the script, and wait for
its to finish.

2. What OS do you work on ?

   Ans : I work both in Linux (CentOS) and Windows 8.1. I tried to run
the script in different OS.

3. Which Python version/architecture do you use ? (use bugreport.py -a
and send it to the list) - Are you sure your machine is a quadcore ?
or could it be a dual core,capable of hyperthreading (2x2) ?

Ans : I use Anaconda with python 2.7, numpy 1.8.1, obspy 0.9.2,
matplotlib 1.3.1, as you can see in the bugreport.py result. I'm sure
my computer is Quadcore i7 3630QM, it hypertreading to 4x2 = 8, and I
already tested in another parallel program option with my GTX 600 GPU
series.

************* Computer Report *************

----------------+SYSTEM+-------------------
Windows
Wardhani
8
6.2.9200
AMD64
Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9, GenuineIntel

----------------+PYTHON+-------------------
Python: 2.7.6 |Anaconda 2.0.0 (64-bit)| (default, Nov 11 2013,
10:49:15) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]

---------------+MODULES+-------------------

Required:
[X] numpy: 1.8.1
[X] scipy: 0.14.0
[X] pandas: 0.13.1
[X] matplotlib: 1.3.1
[X] statsmodels: 0.5.0
[X] sqlalchemy: 0.9.4
[X] traitsui: 4.4.0
[X] traits: 4.4.0
[X] enable: 4.3.0
[X] scikits.samplerate: present (no version)
[X] obspy: 0.9.2
[X] sphinx: 1.2.2
[X] jinja2: 2.7.2

Backends: (at least one is required)
[X] wx: 3.0.0.0
[X] PyQt4: present (no version)
[X] PySide: 1.2.1

Not required, just checking:
[X] setuptools: 3.6
[X] reportlab:  $Id$
[X] configobj: 5.0.5
[X] pkg_resources: present (no version)
[X] paramiko: 1.14.0
[X] ctypes: 1.1.0
[X] pyparsing: 2.0.1
[X] distutils: 2.7.6
[X] IPython: 2.1.0
[X] vtk: present (no version)

4. Are you using a MySQL server ? On your local machine or on a remote one ?

Ans : I use local domain 127.0.0.1, MySQL server using WAMP or XAMPP
(I tried both of this) in windows 8.1, and use MariaDB + httpd in
CentOS.

Thank you for your time

Regards,,

Dear Prima,

First, (the easy answer), the fact that the GPU stays at 0% is
perfectly normal,
as MSNoise doesn't use GPU calculation (or Cuda, or anything related to
GPUs).

The increase between the -t 1 and -t 2 seems logical in terms of timing. But
from 2 to 4, you don't seem to gain any timing increase.

So:
- How do you calculate/get the RAM/CPU values ?
- What OS do you work on ?

- Which Python version/architecture do you use ? (use bugreport.py -a and
send it to the list) - Are you sure your machine is a quadcore ? or could
it be a dual core,capable of hyperthreading (2x2) ?

- Are you using a MySQL server ? On your local machine or on a remote one ?

Scanning the archive actually doesn't consume much power, but requires quite
a large number of readings, so your disk performance could be an issue too.
I haven't yet played a lot with Numba, it's a thing to check in the future.
If you succeed in doing that, PR (pull requests) are welcome ! This said,
there are few chances the first steps (scan + jobs) can be accelerated
dramatically, as the first mainly relies on Obspy and the second on the
power of your database machine.

Best,

Thomas