[MSNoise] Stuck in Compute_cc step

Sébastien Carniato sebastien.carniato at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:07:38 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas,

before talking about my problems, I’d like to introduce my data, and the configurator’s “configuration” I use.
I study mining data. The scale is totally different from the initial purpose of Msnoise, and I think is one of the reasons of a lot of problem I’m facing..
There are 3 stations, which are around 200 meters away from each other, and at the same altitude. They record data with a 200 Hz samplerate.
In my database, I’ve chosen for each station 2 days of recording (the end of the first day does not correspond exactly to the beginning of the second day), with X,Y,Z channels. The length of each records is approximatively 24 hours.

Here’s the structure of my database folder (all files are SAC files) :

					LF1.AN..X.2011.003
					LF1.AN..Y.2011.003
					LF1.AN..Z.2011.003
		LF1			LF1.AN..X.2011.004
					LF1.AN..Y.2011.004
		           		LF1.AN..Z.2011.004

					LF2.AN..X.2011.003
					LF2.AN..Y.2011.003
					LF2.AN..Z.2011.003
AN		LF2			LF2.AN..X.2011.004
					LF2.AN..Y.2011.004
					LF2.AN..Z.2011.004

					LF3.AN..X.2011.003
					LF3.AN..Y.2011.003
		LF3			LF3.AN..Z.2011.003
					LF3.AN..X.2011.004
					LF3.AN..Y.2011.004
					LF3.AN..Z.2011.004

The configurator I use (only the inserts which are (I guess) important for compute_cc :

startdate : 1970-01-01
enddate : 2100-01-01
analysis duration : 86400
cc_sampling_rate : 200
resampling_method : Decimate
decimation_factor : 2
preprocess_lowpass : 1
preprocess_highpass : 80
maxlag : 120
corr_duration : 1800
windsorizing : 3
crondays : -1
autocorr : N
keep_all : Y
keep_days : Y
ref_begin : -100
ref_end : 0
export_format : BOTH
sac_format : doublets

The filter configuration I use :

low : 10
mwcs_low : 10
high : 80
mwcs_high : 80
rms_treshold : 0
mwcs_len : 10
mwcs_step : 5

My problems :

The folder CROSS_CORRELATIONS is created, as well as the STACK folder.
Problem 1 : When I plot the mseed files in CROSS_CORRELATION, i get nothing… the files are not empty (324 Kio), but there’s nothing in the plot window.

Problem 2 : When I plot the SAC (or MSEED) file in STACKS/00/001_DAYS folder, here is what I get :

It’s indeed a symmetric signal… which looks more like an autocorrelation, doesn’t it ?
Here’s what I get if I zoom on it :

Thanks for your help Thomas.

Sébastien.

PS : I had to change for each file in its header, the name of the station, and the component, which were false (thanks to the mining data). Do you think it can be the source of any bug ?