[MSNoise] Suggestions for documentation

Thomas Lecocq thomas.lecocq at seismology.be
Tue Nov 11 12:19:16 UTC 2014

Hello Raphaël,

Thanks for your input !

Le 30/10/2014 17:45, Raphael a écrit :
> **
>
> Dear Thomas and MSnoise users,
>
> I just completed my first installation and processing on the test case
> from AGU 2013 and I had a few observation and comments to improve the
> existing documentation for future users.
>
> In the Configurator:
>
>  *
>
>    I made the mistake to set keep_days as “No”, probably because I
>    copied the screenshot from the doc. This was, of course, a problem
>    when I computed the  CC. I think it would be worth either to change
>    the screenshot, or to mention in the doc that this setting could be
>    problematic.

Same as in my latest mail to Oscar, I should tihnk of some automatic
check/warning when some parameters / parameter set look wrong.

>  *
>
>    The ref begin and end are set by default in relative, potentially
>    causing errors if the REF folder is not created by s04stack.

Same here, using data_availability, we could define automatically the
REF, or at least check if it is valid !
>  *
>
>    I had no filter values by default, I think it would be good to have
>    suggested values for those who are quickly trying MSnoise.

I think of adding a default filter (0.1 - 1.0) in future release.. but
maybe dropping the configurator would be a better solution...

>  *
>
>    I think it would also be nice to have more advice on the use of
>    sqlite and mysql. Maybe recommend a sqlite manager, the way it is
>    done with EasyPHP for mysql.

Yah, but that's also quite technical... I agree that a small "how-to" on
some key SQL commands could help !

>  *
>
>    It was already mentioned in the mailing list but it would also be
>    nice to have suggestions on the best way to reset jobs from “D” to
>    “T”. It probably won’t be a problem when the toolbox will be ready.

same as above

>  *
>
>    I didn’t install wx, so to plot the dt/t I had to disable the line 3
>    “mpl.use('WxAgg')”. Also the red line didn’t show on the plot, but I
>    think this is a known problem.

this is indeed known, dependance to Wx has to be removd in step 07...
Anyway, I plan on dropping the configurator for something easier... so
no more need for graphical interfaces !!

> I hope this will be useful for future users.
It is definitively ! Thanks a LOT !

Thomas