[MSNoise] One more clarification

Thomas Lecocq Thomas.Lecocq at seismology.be
Fri Oct 14 20:50:01 UTC 2016

Hi all,

so, as explained:

default['analysis_duration'] = ["Duration of the Analysis (total in seconds : 3600, [86400])",'86400']
default['corr_duration'] = ["Data windows to correlate (in seconds) [1800.]",'1800.']
default['overlap'] = ["Amount of overlap between data windows [0:1[ [0.]",'0.0']

analysis_duration should not be changed. It's there because I originally
planned to allow support for other job bases, not only the "1day job"
(e.g. for acoustic kHz data). But to date, it's not implemented.
corr_duration is the window length, in the loaded day, that is
cross-correlated, and they step by the overlap. The "chunking" is not
for efficiency, it's for quality rebuilding of the CCF. In the simplest
case of a big event in the middle of your 2 daily seismic traces, you'll
have the CCF of those full traces will look like an autocorrelation, but
if you slice the day in chunks, only one of the, for example 48 slices,
will be autocorr, and thus the daily stack of those windows will be less
affected by this event. So, msnoise computes N CCFS per day and stacks
them to a daily CCF (default is linear stack = average). Thomas