[MSNoise] A case of a mud volcano

Thomas Lecocq thomas.lecocq at seismology.be
Sat Feb 17 16:49:57 UTC 2018

Hi Ilias,

Wooow... Impressive!

If I get it well, the current idea is that there is a reservoir at 3 to
6km deep and a "pipe" up to the surface ?

 >Questions in my mind are both of practical and scientific perspective:

 >- Since we don't expect any conventional seismic/volcanic activity,
will the network record anything of use?

Well you'll most probably have some tremor linked to the bubbling mud
going up, and maybe some events at deeper locations. Did you measure
anything with the permanent network ?

 >- I have in my hands 5 to 6 Guralp 5TDE (accelerometers). Will they be
able to record noise down to the frequencies of interest?

I don't have any experience of the 5TDE, could you send the estimated
instrument response? I bet they could be used down to 1Hz or even lower.
Did you do any measurement recently with those ? If yes, it'd be quite
easy to compute some coherency checks on the data.

 >- Related to the previous, what would be the optimum aperture to
deploy the sensors (taking into account we need to extract information
down to 3-6 Km)?

If you want to "monitor" the "reservoir" you'll need to open the network
quite largely. Aurélien could answer this better than me, but I'm quite
sure you can open one triangle by 5 to 7 km and anther one with a
smaller aperture, both "centered" on the volcano.

In any case, I'd install them rapidly and check the data after 1 or 2
weeks max.

ps= don't forget to update to MSNoise 1.5.1 to have the latest bugfixes.

Best regards,
Tom