[MSNoise] ESC Session on ambient noise seismology

Raphaël DE PLAEN raphael.deplaen at uni.lu
Mon Feb 19 16:38:49 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,
 It is our pleasure to invite you to contribute to the session S28 entitled "Applications and developments in ambient noise seismology" to be held during the 36th General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission in Valletta, Malta, during 2-7 September 2018 (http://www.escmalta2018.eu/page/home).

This session welcomes contributions focused on ambient noise seismology.

Abstract submission will run until 31-March-2018.

Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding the suitability of your work for this session. We look forward to receiving your submissions and seeing you in Malta in September!

Best wishes,

Andrea Cannata, Dipartimento di Fisica e Geologia, Università di Perugia, andrea.cannata at unipg.it<mailto:andrea.cannata at unipg.it>
Flavio Cannavò, Osservatorio Etneo, INGV, flavio.cannavo at ingv.it<mailto:flavio.cannavo at ingv.it>
Raphaël De Plaen, Faculté des Sciences, Université du Luxembourg, raphael.deplaen at gmail.com
Anne Obermann, ETH, anne.obermann at sed.ethz.ch<mailto:anne.obermann at sed.ethz.ch>

Session description: S28 - Applications and developments in ambient noise seismology
In the absence of earthquakes and other strong seismic signals, the Earth surface is not static but constantly vibrating due to many continuous noise sources such as ocean waves, storms and anthropic activities, generating the so-called ambient seismic noise. Ambient seismic noise has proven to be a valuable tool for imaging the earth at different scales via surface and body wave tomographies. The continuity and reproducibility of ambient noise correlations, make them an excellent candidate for the monitoring of crustal properties, which has found applications ranging from volcano monitoring, dynamic recovery processes of earthquakes to civil engineering. The energy source for most applications is the microseism. The microseism sources are closely related to ocean wave energy coupling with the Earth's motion and have today broad applications, among which the investigation on atmosphere-hydrosphere-cryosphere-solid earth interactions, to make also inferences on climate changes.  In this session, we welcome contributions focused on ambient noise seismology. We invite contributions concerning multi-scale applications of seismic noise interferometry, such as imaging structure and monitoring subsurface changes. We are also enthusiastic to receive studies on the sources of ambient seismic noise (i.e. microseisms, hum, microbaroms), their generation processes, and their applications on the investigation of atmosphere-hydrosphere-cryosphere-solid earth interactions. This extends also to methodological and more theoretical approaches (i.e. role of scattering, alternative processing techniques).