[MSNoise] Approaching abstract submission deadline - ESC Session on ambient noise seismology

Raphael De Plaen raphael.deplaen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 16:58:31 UTC 2018

Apologies for cross-posting

Dear colleagues,

It is our pleasure to invite you to contribute to the *session **S28*
entitled *"**Applications and developments in ambient noise seismology**" *to
be held during the 36th General Assembly of the European Seismological
Commission in Valletta, Malta, during 2-7 September 2018 (
http://www.escmalta2018.eu/page/home).

This session welcomes contributions focused on ambient noise seismology.

*Abstract submission will run until **31-March-2018**.*

Please do not hesitate to contact us regarding the suitability of your work
for this session. We look forward to receiving your submissions and seeing
you in Malta in September!

Best wishes,

Andrea Cannata, Dipartimento di Fisica e Geologia, Università di Perugia,
andrea.cannata at unipg.it

Flavio Cannavò, Osservatorio Etneo, INGV, flavio.cannavo at ingv.it

Raphaël De Plaen, SisVOc, Universidad de Guadalajara,
*raphael.deplaen at gmail.com
<raphael.deplaen at gmail.com>*

Anne Obermann, ETH, anne.obermann at sed.ethz.ch

*Session description: **S28 - Applications and developments in ambient
noise seismology*

In the absence of earthquakes and other strong seismic signals, the Earth
surface is not static but constantly vibrating due to many continuous noise
sources such as ocean waves, storms and anthropic activities, generating
the so-called ambient seismic noise. Ambient seismic noise has proven to be
a valuable tool for imaging the earth at different scales via surface and
body wave tomographies. The continuity and reproducibility of ambient noise
correlations, make them an excellent candidate for the monitoring of
crustal properties, which has found applications ranging from volcano
monitoring, dynamic recovery processes of earthquakes to civil engineering.
The energy source for most applications is the microseism. The microseism
sources are closely related to ocean wave energy coupling with the Earth’s
motion and have today broad applications, among which the investigation on
atmosphere-hydrosphere-cryosphere-solid earth interactions, to make also
inferences on climate changes.  In this session, we welcome contributions
focused on ambient noise seismology. We invite contributions concerning
multi-scale applications of seismic noise interferometry, such as imaging
structure and monitoring subsurface changes. We are also enthusiastic to
receive studies on the sources of ambient seismic noise (i.e. microseisms,
hum, microbaroms), their generation processes, and their applications on
the investigation of atmosphere-hydrosphere-cryosphere-solid earth
interactions. This extends also to methodological and more theoretical
approaches (i.e. role of scattering, alternative processing techniques).