[MSNoise] MSNoise CPU-GPU-RAM Processing

Thomas Lecocq thomas.lecocq at oma.be
Mon May 19 08:36:33 UTC 2014

Dear Prima,

First, (the easy answer), the fact that the GPU stays at 0% is perfectly
normal, as MSNoise doesn't use GPU calculation (or Cuda, or anything
related to GPUs).

The increase between the -t 1 and -t 2 seems logical in terms of timing.
But from 2 to 4, you don't seem to gain any timing increase.

So:
- How do you calculate/get the RAM/CPU values ?
- What OS do you work on ?
- Which Python version/architecture do you use ? (use bugreport.py -a
and send it to the list)
- Are you sure your machine is a quadcore ? or could it be a dual core,
capable of hyperthreading (2x2) ?
- Are you using a MySQL server ? On your local machine or on a remote one ?

Scanning the archive actually doesn't consume much power, but requires
quite a large number of readings, so your disk performance could be an
issue too. I haven't yet played a lot with Numba, it's a thing to check
in the future. If you succeed in doing that, PR (pull requests) are
welcome ! This said, there are few chances the first steps (scan + jobs)
can be accelerated dramatically, as the first mainly relies on Obspy and
the second on the power of your database machine.

Best,

Thomas